
17 days ago on August 27th, 2009 I had a morning that I will never forget. Like most of my mornings my alarm went off at 4:10. Of course I ignored it till 4:35. Just enough time to get dressed, write the kids a note, find my keys, and since I didn't want to stink I washed my face and underarms. Now I was late. The clock said 10 mins. till 5. It takes 15 minutes to get to work. I was going to be late. Out the driveway and down the road I went. We live next to alot of farm land that hugs the side of the mountain so the road was twisty-turnie.

So on my way in the darkness, am following about 8 cars. All of a sudden I see white. In the farmer canal ditch thing, turned completely on its passenger side was a white car. All the lights out. All cars ahead of me had passed it with out even a push on their brakes. I figured it probably had been there a while and all was well so I also continued on. Do you ever battle your own mind? Or the Spirit as the case may be? Well that is what happened. For the next 1/4 of a mile this is what it sounded like. GO BACK AND CHECK. NO I CANT I AM SOO LATE FOR WORK. GO BACK JUST TO MAKE SURE. NO! LIGHTS WERE OUT, I WOULD FEEL STUPID IF NO ONE WAS THERE. GO BACK AND CHECK! OK I WILL GO BACK AND CHECK!

So after I made an 8 point turn in the middle of no where I headed back. (Sorry this is starting to sound like a book) I passed 3 more cars on the way back who had obviously done the same as I had. So I parked cockeyed next to this mailbox. Have in the driveway to this old farm and half in the road. Headlights pointed downward hoping to see something. It was so dark. The windows of the car were so dusty. With the power of the lights I saw that the drivers seatbelt was undone and everything was good. So I was about to leave when the battle continued. CALL 911. SORRY NOT GONNA DO IT. IF EVERYTHING ID FINE HOW STUPID AM I GOING TO LOOK. CALL 911! HOW EMBARRASSING, NO! CALL 911! FINE I WILL CALL. 9-1-1. Blah Blah hello this is 911....Hi, my name is Ashley, I'm sorry to call but I thought I need to. There is a car overturned and I dont know if anyone is in it. I am sorry if this is wasting your time but I had to call. She said not to worry and that they would need to know anyway. She asked me to wait. I was really late for work by now. So I walked around in the dark, trying to see any sign of anything.

The officer came. I told him what I knew. Not much. He asked me to walk with him down this little hill to look in the other window. It was the passenger side. Only about6 inches where visible the rest was in the ditch. Back window ...nothing. He was radioing that everything was clear, when he asked me to hold the flashlight. As we made the hand off we saw hair. We were both pounding on the window when a head turned. Very bloody. He told me to talk to her and hold the flash light while he called for e.r services. While he was at the cruiser I sat there. Indian style in the dirt. Leaning almost to the ground where her head was. He yelled to me to ask if her name was Loretta. I asked. Her eyes got huge. I told him yes. We had grabbed the windshield and tore a chunk of the glass off so she could hear me. Her eyes kept rolling to the back of her head. I just kept saying "Loretta sweetie I need you to keep your eyes open" she couldn't talk , couldn't move. Blinked slow. For about 5 minutes, which seemed like forever I repeated myself. And her eyes would come forward again. The ambulance finally arrived. After I was given a form to fill out, I was told I could leave. They were going to have to cut her out. She had been the driver, not seat belted. So when the car went over, she flew to the other side of the car. Thus her bloody head against the opposite window. I left 45 mins late for work and sobbing. Why did I pass her the first time? Why did everybody else? Why didn't I listen? Could I have done anything else? On the 3rd picture you can see that the drive way had stopped her car. The hood was half way in it. The green cable box had been taken out. When I went back to take some pictures I walked back down the hill and saw tons of broken glass and alcohol wipe packets. I just sat there and cried. ANYWAYS....so I went to work and got caught up, but my mind was on Loretta. I went on my lunch break at 8:15 to go get Jackson and take him to school. While driving I decided to call the E.R and see if they would tell me anything. All they said was that no kin had been located, and she had been life-flighted to Salt Lake with numerous neck fractures. I left my name and # so that I could be reached. Nothing yet. I hope to find her, or her to find me. Hope she is alive. Hope I helped. Moral of the story, Hymn #143 "Let the Holy Spirit Guide."
11 comments:
Wow!! Bless your heart for listening! I know you think you should have listened sooner, but the point is YOU DID LISTEN! And you made a difference.
Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your example!
Oh Ashley, how traumatic! You are amazing for listening and going back to help. I hope you get an update soon.
Holy cow Ashley, good thing you listened that that voice and went back. I am sure she will be just fine because you did go back. Way to save the day sweetie!
Yay, my sister the hero :)
Sorry, the girl that shares my computer was signed in and I didn't notice, it's me Kaitle
i'm proud of you ash.
xo, cc
Thats incredible. Sometimes we are like kids and need to be told more than once. And you did. I hope you get happy news ... soon.
Wow, what an amazing story of how to listen to the spirit. I do hope that Loretta is okay. You know that you will be blessed for helping save this woman's life.
I can't think of a word to adequately describe my awe at this event. What a woman! You're super, I hope you hear something soon. Hope it's happy news.
What a traumatic day! Good job listening. What a reminder that God is watching over all of us. Wayt to go!!
Hello, My name is George DeVinna and I'm wondering if we might be related.
I live in California. I do know that I have a Clyde and a Maurice in my family line. Please contact me at gdevinna@verizon.net
Thank you,
George Devinna
Post a Comment